Thursday, June 5, 2014

"You Look Like a Nice Person"

Today was filled with many wonderful conversations with both Dr. Ravi as well as the head nurse, Sister Lena, and not so many medical cases. But in some ways, I think I learn just as much through these conversations as I do through observing Dr. Ravi. 

When I came into the clinic today, Dr. Ravi had to immediately run to a cesarian surgery, and because it was not in his clinic, I had to stay back. While he was gone Sister Lena showed me around their own operating theatre, but not the way we usually see it. She let me look at all the different instruments and even turned some on for me so I could see how they work. She showed me the different methods of sterilization (fumes for the room, and tablets, autoclave (20 days), or gas (1-2 years) for the instruments), the baby warmer and phototherapy machines for jaundice babies, the resuscitators for both adults and babies, and my favorite: the diathermy machine. This machine uses electrically-induced heat to cut through the skin and also has the capability to cauterize at the same time. This allows for a better cut, less blood loss, and overall better healing. Sister Lena turned on the machine for me and let me use it (it's very easy to use) on a piece of soap. So that was fun!

After Dr. Ravi got back, I met with a couple patients of his. Often the patients either ignore me or just smile politely, but I can always tell if Dr. Ravi is explaining to someone the reason I'm there because he says "US" or "study medicine." But the people rarely look at me when they ask why, only after he answers their question and then they smile. Today, one woman said (as translated by Dr. Ravi) that I "look like a nice person." So I guess that's reassuring to know! 

Dr. Ravi also told me that many of his patients come to see him from "far away places." For example, one patient today came 1.5 hours and another came 1 hour. He says it's because they aren't sure of the quality of care they get in the rural areas, but they trust him which is great! He also told me a lot about prescriptions. People here can turn the same prescription in over and over again and keep getting the same medicine. Unlike in the US, they keep their prescriptions after they are given the medicine. That seemed crazy to me because there could be so much misuse! But Dr. Ravi said they are starting to regulate more, but he isn't sure how much. 

We also talked about the salary of Dr. Ravi compared to a doctor in the US. His salary is about 280,000 Rs per month, which is about $4,700 USD/month or $56,000/year. Compared to an Ob-Gyn in the US who, on average, is paid $212,000/year. Now don't get me wrong, things are much more expensive in the US, but that still shocks me, especially since that salary earns high class status here in India… Amazing. Even still, their cars are just as expensive as ours are, still about $25,000 for a nice car in India. The degrees earned for medicine here are a little different as well. Dr. Ravi and Dr. Rohini both have their M.B.B.S. or Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery, instead of an M.D. Dr. Ravi also has his L.M., or Licensure in Midwifery, and his D.G.O, or Diploma in Gynecology and Obstetrics, in addition to the M.B.B.S. 

Lastly, my family will find this story very funny. We all know I'm a very literal person and I need to answer questions very literally. Dr. Ravi and I were talking about how Rupees in India are all different colors, shapes, and sizes and that makes them easy to tell apart whereas in the US all of our dollars look the same. The conversation went like this: Dr. Ravi said, "So what do you do if you're having poor eyesight?" And I said (in all seriousness), "Go see the eye doctor!"

I realize this story might not be as funny on text, but the doctor and I had a good laugh when I realized he was really asking how do you tell the money apart if you can't see it well. To which I answer: I have no idea!

English side of the wedding invitation
Tamil side of the wedding invitation 

Meet Dr. Ravi. He said, "Put this in your blog and say, 'this is my 61-year-old doctor!'"



No comments:

Post a Comment