Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Something Old, Something New, Something Borrowed, Something Blue!

Good news! The girls and I will be headed to a wedding on Friday with Dr. Ravi and Dr.Rohini! It's about a three hour to get to the church (which was first established by Dr. Ravi's father) so we will have to be picked up very early... But it will be very worth it! We are all very excited to see an Indian wedding and wear our sarees! We went to the tailor to get them all sewn and ready to wear! I'll let you all know how it fits when I get it and actually learn how to wear it. Then I will, of course, post a picture! 

Today, Dr. Ravi and I had a lot of conversations and I met a lot of great people, but no medical miracles or anything! I met the woman in charge of the Dolphin School here in Trichy. The Dolphin School is a school for children with special needs, complete with occupational therapy. So it was great to meet her and I can't wait to go visit the school! I also met a 10-year-old girl who had the prettiest green/hazel eyes and she also wanted to be a doctor. She was very, very sweet! 

Today I also talked to the doctor about osteopathic medicine vs. allopathic medicine. He wasn't aware of what osteopathic medicine was, so I explained it to him by basically saying it is a bit more holistic, but not homeopathic. Instead DOs also learn manipulative medicine which allows them to prescribe medicines and take care of the body that way, as well as make sure the body itself is aligned and functioning properly. Dr. Ravi thought the DO field sounded wonderful and he was fully supportive of such pursuits! It's always great to. Have the support of someone you truly admire. 

Some medical things I learned:
-the upper lip and nose area is called the "dangerous area" because if you get an infection there, the veins lead straight to the brain, so the brain can be easier infected
-a person who is prone to lots of allergies (like myself) is called an atopic person
-a child born HIV+ will usually live only 12-14 years; if they pick up a lot of infections early, they are constantly treated with antibiotics that eventually stop working. These children will die even earlier...
-they prescribe both tablets and injections here in India

Two fun facts:
-elephants are pregnant for TWO YEARS!!! How crazy it that?!?
-the Tamil word for mango is mambalam. They have lots of mangoes here so that will definitely come in handy as I try all of the different varieties!

I also had the joy of explaining to Dr. Ravi today that NC was in the Bible Belt. It was funny because he didn't know what it was, but he knew about the religions associated with such. So my main task for tonight is to figure out all the states in the Bible Belt: NC, SC, GA, TN, AL, KY, MS, AR, LA, OK, and TX. It's actually much larger than I thought! I also had to explain how even though it was in the Bible Belt, Asheville is a bit of a "hippie" town. This involved even more explaining of what I meant by hippy!

On that note, until tomorrow,
Marissa

P.S. The three of us were invited to a commencement ceremony for the communications class that we were speaking at earlier this week. Unfortunately, the celebration is at 3:30 on Friday, so we aren't sure if we will be back from the wedding yet, but we hope to! If we are, that may make Friday one of the best days yet!
Our personally addressed envelopes. Hey, at least they got one of us right. And it's the thought that counts!

1 comment:

  1. I am excited about the wedding for you as I have seen on TV, movies and from friends that is truly magical to experience. Full of beauty culture,, color, dress, faith, the start of something new . Family's come together to celebrate and wishes are given. Exciting!

    ReplyDelete