Monday, July 14, 2014

Home Sweet Home

A final hello to everyone!

This will be my final blog post, but I just really wanted to have one to wrap it all up! Though it may not be a long post, I think it is an important one to write.


I just want everyone to know how much this entire trip truly impacted me. Without this trip to India offered by Appalachian State University and the Honors College and without the financial assistance from the Ronald & Marilyn Mitsch International Education Scholarship, The Jerri Heltzer International Education Scholarship, and the Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship, I would have never had this amazing experience. Because of each of this organizations, I was able to spend one month in India experiencing things I would never have experienced otherwise. Working with Dr. Ravi, Dr. Rohini, and Dr. Victoria taught me so much every day. In the U.S., students are very limited in what they are able to see. We have many laws that prevent undergraduate students from shadowing at acute care facilities, observing surgeries, etc. India does not have such laws and thus, I was able to learn so much that I would never have seen in my home country. I think it is important, as an intended future physician, to see all that medicine has to offer, including the things I just mentioned above. After going to India and seeing these things first-hand, I now know that while I do not want to become a gynecologist or obstetrician, I do want to become a pediatrician. I want to work in the medical field. Most importantly, I want to work with children to help them and their families to live the best and healthiest lives possible. 


Many people have asked me: "how was India?" And I find this a very hard question to answer. In many ways, I could answer it very simply by saying, "It was hot and crowded, but everyone was very nice and I learned so much." But in other ways, there is no way to answer this. I've come to realize the best answer is that India is a place that you must experience yourself. It is so much more than what you see in movies, what you hear in the news, and the food with which you associate it. India is only complete when you combine all of these things with the people you meet, the streets you walk down, and the experiences you personally have. India is a place you must visit yourself to truly understand how amazing it is. 


The travel after Morgan and I initially decided to do because the flight was actually cheaper to go through Europe than to just go back home (even though the actual trip to Europe was very expensive). After finding this out, I had to talk to my parents. I am very lucky to have parents that are very supportive of my adventures, explorations, and dreams. My dad's response was, "Spend a month in Europe if you need to! Have the adventure while you can!" or something along those lines. So with the support of both mine and Morgan's families, we were able to continue our journey from India throughout three countries in Europe (Denmark, Germany, and France). In each country we were able to visit so many places and learn so many things (you can read more about that in my previous blogs). I don't know when I will be able to go back to Europe, but after this trip, I know there are so many more places I want to visit and so many more things to learn.


With that being said, I know many of you had trouble commenting on my blog throughout this experience. Apparently you have to have a google plus account in order to leave comments. If you still have any questions, comments, concerns, anything, I would love to hear them. And in your message to me, please suggest whether or not you believe I should post my responses on a final blog. Otherwise, I will just personally respond to the specific inquiries! 


My email is marissastock@live.com if you do have any questions, comments, concerns. I look forward to hearing from you.


If I do just respond on a person-by-person basis, I would like to thank you all for reading my blog over these past two months. I have had about 2000 views from many countries across the world. It is amazing to me that so many people would be interested in reading about the adventures of a young pre-med student, but I am so glad I was able to share this journey.


Maybe I'll write more when I have more journeys, but for now I will leave it be.


Sincerely and finally,

Marissa ("Rissa")

1 comment:

  1. PARA SAIL--- MEETUP --- Visakhapatnam --- liveinadventures.com
    http://www.meetup.com/Greater-Visakhapatnam-Adventure-Club-GVAC/
    Saturday, December 13, 2014
    1:30 PM to 4:30 PM
    Sagar Nagar
    near Bay leaf, Visakhapatnam (edit map)

    Video --- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWpSsUBJexo

    Parasailing, where a person is towed behind a vehicle.while attached to a specially designed canopy wing that reminds one of a parachute, known as a parasail wing. The manned kite's moving anchor may be a car, truck.The harness attaches the pilot to the parasail, which is connected to the boat, or land vehicle, by the tow rope. The vehicle then drives off, carrying the parascender (or wing) and person into the air. If the boat is powerful enough, two or three people can parasail behind it at the same time. The parascender has little or no control over the parachute. The activity is primarily a fun ride, not to be confused with the sport of paragliding.
    Regards
    Balaram Naidu
    9703784560
    ram@liveinadventures.com
    balaramnaidu1@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete